Schmit Prototypes’ CNC machining capabilities enable us to produce the finest, highly accurate parts, full-functioning engineering prototypes, piece parts and injection molds. Fast turnaround and high accuracy on CNC parts or molds can be achieved with a wide variety of materials. Using various materials during the concept stage of your prototype will allow your design team to closely simulate the final product appearance, yet still give the freedom to make changes. Our highly trained CNC machinists have the experience to help point out any problem areas for future part production.
CNC (computerized numerical control) machining is a subtractive process in which parts are machined directly from 3D CAD files using various computer controlled tools and cutters. Our machinists use 3D files to program in Surfcam for the CNC machines to remove material from a stock work piece. The machined part is then removed and finished/painted according to the project requirements.
CNC Machining & Turning Applications
- 13 Haas CNC Vertical Milling Centers
- 3 Morei Seiki Turning Centers
- 2,3 and 4 Axis Milling
- 24″ X 40″ Milling Workspace
- 0-14.5″ Diameter Turning Ability
- 0-20″ Length of Turning Ability
- Master Patterns
- Visual Models
- Engineering Models
- Injection Mold Making
- And much more
CNC Machining Materials
Schmit Prototypes’ CNC machining department can produce highly accurate engineering models from production materials such as:
Various types of plastic
- CTFE (Kel-F)
Aluminum (2024, 6061, 7075)
Steel (1018, 1045, 1215, 4140, P20, 12L14, O1, WI, A2)
Stainless Steel (301, 303, 304, 316, 15-5, 17-4, 410)
Brass, Titanium, Foams and Modeling Board
For other materials, please contact a Project Manager
CNC Machining Finish Levels
- Injection Molds:
- Tool polishing/finishing-from custom textures to high polish and anything in between
- * Contact your project manager for specifics
- Piece Part Finish:
- Remove machine marks
- Edge breaks
- Can achieve any finish specified
- Plating and coating
Final Finish and Paint [ Finishing and Painting options ]
- Remove machine marks
- Prime and Paint to client specifics
At Schmit Prototypes the average delivery time for CNC machining can vary greatly depending on workload and/or project requirements. Schmit has been known to ship within 1 day of receiving the order. Consult one of our project managers for more information on delivery/time frame.
Why CNC Machining
- CNC machines can be used 24 hours a day continuously, only being turned off for maintenance.
- CNC machining allows for high accuracy and excellent surface finish and/or details.
- There are some precision jobs that can only be accomplished by CNC machines.